Carmelites of Mary Immaculate


St Joseph's province, Thiruvananthapuram

RELIGIOUS INSTITUTIONS
Search First Prev Back Next
St. Mary's Ashram
ESTD:1955
Phone:0091-481-2524242
Address:
Rev. Fr. Prefect,
St. Marys Ashram,
Cheepunkal,
Kumarakom-686 563
E-mail: -
Place: Cheepunkal
This is a shallow area of the Vempanadan lake acquired by Blessed Chavara himself for paddy cultivation. It was about 100 acres, part of which was sold out in course of years. There remains now only about 30 acres. It is mostly a coconut farm at present.



At the time of the bifurcation of the Province, St. Mary’s was a farm under the St. Joseph Monastery, Mannanam. As it was found difficult for the monastery to look after this farm, the monastery donated the farm to the Province.



The Province developed it. Presently it is known as St. Mary’s Ashram Cheepunkal. Attached to the house, there is a beautiful church: St. Antony’s Church, built in the compound donated by the Ashram, which is a parish church of the archdiocese of Chanaganacherry. A nursery school ‘Chavara Nursery School’ was established in 1989, where a few children undergo training.
Members
 
  Paul Vadakkummuriyil Prefect
Search First Prev Back Next