|Nirmalgiri Novitiate |
|Phone:0091-475 2222458 |
Rev. Fr. Rector, Nirmalgiri Novitiate House, Mukkadavu, Nellippally P.O., Valacodu - 691 331, Punalur
|E-mail: - |
|Place: Punalur |
|In the undivided St. Joseph Province, Chethipuzha was the novitiate of the province from 1957 and the aspirantsâ houses were at Mutholy and Poonjar. When the province was bifurcated, there was need for separate aspirantsâ houses and novitiate house. Chethipuzha and Mannanam were selected as the aspirantsâ houses. |
As for the Novitiate house, the provincial council, based on the report of an ad hoc committee, Punalur was selected. The undivided St. Joseph Province had already connection with Punalur as the parish church of Punalur and the annexed property of the Changanacherry Archdiocese was unconditionally handed over to the province by Mar Antony Padiyara, the then archbishop of Changanacherry. Fr. Kurian Mukocheril CMI was appointed as vicar.
There was at the time a bungalaw with an annexed estate of about 3.5 acres owned by Fr. Cyriac Manavalan, a diocesan priest of Ernakulam Archdiocese working in the Syro-Malankara Church. He died a few months after the bifurcation of the province, leaving his registered will donating the bungalaw and the estate to the CMI Congregation and Frs. Kurian Mukocheril and Varghese Puthussery, the nephew of Fr. Manavalan, a diocesan priest of Ernakulam, were authorized to execute the will, under certain conditions. This situation facilitated the province to establish the novitiate house at Punalur. Fr. Bernardine Kallukalam was entrusted with the work of the construction. By the end of 1980 a part of the building was completed and in 1981 the novitiate was started here.
| Members |
| || Jose D. Poovattil || Novice Master |