Carmelites of Mary Immaculate


St Joseph's province, Thiruvananthapuram

RELIGIOUS INSTITUTIONS
Search First Prev Back Next
Gagultha Monastery
ESTD:1925
Phone:0477-2736276
Address:
Rev. Fr. Prior
Gagultha Monastery,
Champakulam,
Alappuzha-688 505
Kerala, India
E-mail: -
Place: Champakulam
At the request of the local people a monastery was started in 1925, on a plot of land donated by Devasia Mapilassery. People cooperated enthusiastically with the project. Fr. Louis Neriamparambil, the then prior general, laid the foundation stone for the monastery on 30 September 1924. On 27 December 1925 it was declared a canonical house. Already in 1922 a U.P. school with a boarding house was started in the place, which continue to this day. When the donor Devasia Mapilassery incurred a lot of debt, the monasteries of Pulincunnu, Chethipuzha and Mannanam came up to his rescue.



The beautiful church which we see today was constructed by Fr. Mathai Aykara, the then prior, helped by Fr. Iranaeus Mundakath and others. The old monastery building was demolished and the new one was constructed by Fr. Berchmans Kattapuram in 1980, the then prior. Recently an English medium school was started in the same campus by Fr.Thomas Thayil. A B. Ed. college was started in 2005.
Members
 
  Joseph Mariyalayam Prior
Search First Prev Back Next